A Central Hub of Cultural Activities and Initiatives for Residents of The Davies
There is little doubt that the City of Toronto offers a remarkable cross-section of leisure activities that will in some way appeal to virtually every individual resident or family unit. Whether on land or water, singly or in a group, contemplative or high-intensity, there is, simply, something for everyone who resides in this city or its neighbouring communities.
World-class restaurants, arts and entertainment, professional and amateur sports, scenic bike paths, the Metro Zoo; these are but a few of the countless options and venues that are available to local residents. And, due to the proximity of their luxurious condos and penthouses to the Artscape Wychwood Barns, residents of The Davies on Avenue Road can also enjoy a dynamic mix of cultural activities and initiatives in one centralized hub.
The Artscape Wychwood Barns, located in the St. Clair and Christie neighbourhood of Toronto, represent the transformation of four historic Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) streetcar repair barns into a unique community-based experience. Situated on 4.3 acres and surrounded by over 125,000 square feet of city parkland, the Artscape Wychwood Barns complex includes a 60,000 square-foot community centre, distributed among the four barns, which in turn foster a rich and distinctive blend of:
- Arts and Culture
- Urban Agriculture
- Heritage Preservation
- Environmental Leadership
Within these historic structures, residents of The Davies, a new condo development that overlooks Robertson Davies Park in Toronto, can enjoy the following:
- Barn 1: The Studio Barn
- Has 26 live-and-work studios and 15 work-only studios for professional artists
- Hosts a community art gallery that features the work of these artists and others from the local area; work from various international artists is on display here also
- Barn 2: The Covered Street Barn
- Provides affordable space year-round for community use
- Groups can hold exhibitions, festivals, fundraising events, etc.
- Creates a central area for neighbourhood vendors to sell their wares
- Barn 3: The Community Barn
- Offers not-for-profit organizations access to affordable long-term space
- Space can be used for offices, meetings, rehearsals, sponsored programs
- Tenants include: Artscape, Storytelling Toronto, and Theatre Direct Canada
- Barn 4: The Stop Community Food Centre’s Green Barn
- Supports a year-round temperate greenhouse and a sheltered garden
- Furthermore, this barn houses an outdoor bake oven, a compost demonstration site, and an education centre pertaining to sustainable food
- Allows its visitors to learn about healthy eating and ecological growing practices
Recurring Events at Artscape Wychwood Barns Will Appeal to Guests of All Ages
The various undertakings housed within this community are overseen by the Wychwood Barns Community Association. Through the work of this association, guests have access to several events or happenings each month; there are two recurring activities that may appeal to visitors of all ages, including those who reside in Toronto’s new luxury condos known as The Davies:
- Storytelling Toronto – Regularly held on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to noon, these sessions are open to all ages and admission is free. Participants are encouraged to tell their own stories or listen to those of others, with a principal aim of enriching the lives of all attendees.
- The Stop’s Farmer’s Market – Recognized by NOW magazine as the best farmer’s market in Toronto, The Stop’s is open every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., and offers an amazing selection of seasonal Ontario food. The goal of this market is to support local agriculture by encouraging area farmers to grow sustainably; in fact, many of the participating farms are certified organic. This concept creates a unique blend of good food, little environmental damage, and earning potential for both the growers and the distributors. Visitors can also enjoy healthy soups, sandwiches, and desserts made fresh in the The Stop’s Market Café.
Individuals and families looking for a new condo development in downtown Toronto that will also afford many opportunities to appreciate cultural, agricultural, and environmental initiatives should give The Davies strong consideration. In addition to its ideal location overlooking Robertson Davies Park from Avenue Road at Cottingham, The Davies offers close proximity to a plethora of such activities on site at the Artscape Wychwood Barns.